Thursday, July 17, 2008

Back in the Game

Last Saturday I shot my first freelance assignment for the Times Community papers of Northern Virginia. I covered a district little league championship game. Let me tell you something. I was SO rusty. I was out on the field, shooting the game. Trying to keep up with the action (I mean, it's not like it's fast, they're 11 years old), yet I still felt like I wasn't getting anything good. Lucky for me, I surprisingly caught the play of the game (not the photo above), and that's what ended up running. And, I got a phone call from the mother of the boy in the photo telling me the photo was "phenomenal" and that she wanted a copy. So, needless to say, I felt flattered.

Now I realize it's been almost a year since I did anything with any kind of journalistic edge and I miss it! I totally miss being out there, talking to people. Running after people trying to figure out who I need to talk to and where I need to be. It's becoming more and more evident to me that I need to get a job, and ASAP! If I stay in D.C. any longer, it might never happen, oddly enough. You would think that the nation's capital would need lots of coverage and what not, but apparently everyone's got a handle on it. I suppose that means I'll be leaving D.C. to find work elsewhere, though I make no promises.

On a side note, I got published in the Post again. I think I'm 3 for 5 now. 60%, not bad. And I met the former editor of National Geographic magazine today. That was a pretty cool moment I must say. Oh, and, I got to shoot Earth, Wind & Fire in their dressing room last night, though I'm not at liberty to make those photos public.

No comments: